Friday, January 1, 2010

More Hawaii...Finally

Good grief, Charlie Brown. I am having the hardest time catching up on this blog.

Back to our Hawaii trip - after the day of the helicopter ride, Henry had to spend a couple days doing homework. On Saturday, he did homework for about half the day and then we were able to go to Hanalei, the little town by our house and check out a craft fair/farmer's market. It was really fun and we were able to get most of our souvenirs. We were also introduced to Shave Ice (and yes, it drives me crazy that they don't call it Shaved Ice). Their claim that it is better than snow cones is true in our opinion. If you're really nice, they will even tell you the secret of putting a little bit of condensed milk on top which really takes it to the next level. Then we went to a beach and just relaxed, reading in the sun and sand.






On Sunday, we spent all day at the house while Henry did homework and I hung out on the beach at the house and read.

On Monday, we went snorkeling with the whole fam at Poi Pu beach on the southern side of the island. I saw so many beautiful fish and was even able to spot an eel. Henry was able to find a sea turtle of which I was very jealous. I did get to swim with turtles on our trip to the Big Island and I was really happy he got to do that too.

After snorkeling (no pictures, sorry. I doubt that anyone wants to see me in a bathing suit anyway), My Dad, Karen, Henry, Hailey and I all went to lunch at the Puka Dog place! It was so stinking good - I had to take a picture of it.



I have been craving them since we came back home and I wish we had found them earlier in the trip so I could have eaten one every day. My Dad bought us some of the sauce to take home and it is already gone. We love putting it on our bratwursts. So good. We are going to have to go to the website and order more because mustard no longer satisfies me. Must have mango sauce.

Then we went to the Kauai Coffee Plantation where we were able to get gifts for the people who took care of animals for us. We also got some gifts for ourselves! I even tried a little bit of coffee and enjoyed it. It was delicious.


The Coffee Plantation:



Some of the beautiful flowers at the plantation:

Bird of Paradise


Hibiscus


Some cool trees that Hailey calls "organized trees" since their branches are so even.


Ok, this post is getting long enough so I will have to do one more Hawaii post. Special shout out to Adam and Diana who went to Kauai on their honeymoon, discovered Puka Dogs and then told my Dad about them. THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment