I have been so busy with my new job I barely have time to think - let alone blog! As you can imagine, opening residence halls at a University would be a very busy time of year, but this year it is quite different due to the number of overflow housing students we have. We received so many more applications than we had rooms for and I have been made the temp housing coordinator. When I say many, I mean a few hundred male students in temporary housing.
It definitely has presented some challenges in the new job. I've been working anywhere from a 9-12 hour day for the last three weeks. I could stay for 12 hours everyday but I am forcing myself to go home just so I don't get burned out. I'm usually exhausted by Wednesday and start going to bed at about 9 or so every night. On the bright side, I have earned enough comp time to get me through the entire semester until I am able to use vacation time in January! (I need to use comp time to go to class or I have unpaid time - and who can afford that!) I earned around 40 hours of comp time since August 10th so I am set until December!
In addition to the crazy work schedule, I started school this week! It's been good so far - I'm really happy with the decisions I made about school and work. I originally was going to take 14 credits (ended up with 8) and I'm SO GLAD!! I really don't think I could handle any more. Also, working on campus was the best decision. It is so convenient and I think if I had to drive across town and look for a parking spot multiple times a day I would pull my hair out. The people I work with are extremely understanding and supportive of me going to school so it is a wonderful environment in which to be. :)
I've been pleasantly surprised to find that I am not even close to being the oldest or only post-Baccalaureate student in my classes. In one of them, I would say post-Bacc students make up at least half the class. Apparently going back to school to get a teaching cert is the thing to do. Plus, I don't look anywhere near older than the traditional college students so it probably wouldn't matter even if I was the only "older" student. One of my new job duties is to supervise our Resident Hall tour program and I gave the tour for about three weeks while all our student workers were gone. Someone asked me if I was a sophomore or a junior while I was giving the tour. After that I started mentioning my high school graduation year in the beginning of my tours. :)
Everything else is going really well. Henry just finished a really hard term in school so he is getting a "break" this term. He is taking one class instead of two but that class is Calculus so it remains to be seen how much of a "break" it really is. Siri is doing wonderfully but is feeling the neglect of the last few weeks. We took him to a pond with a dock a couple weekends ago and he jumped off a dock for the first time ever! We took some videos with our phones that I will try to get posted because they are HILARIOUS!!! At least to me.
We got the hail damage on the car fixed (nice week of biking to work for me) and we have yet to call the roofers but that should be happening soon. I had my ten year high school reunion at the beginning of August and that was a lot of fun. I had a blast seeing people I hadn't seen in a long time. I cannot believe it has been 10 years.
I think that's everything for catch up for now - we're getting very excited for Labor Day weekend - three whole days to do whatever. I can't wait!!
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment