Thursday, November 1, 2012

30 Days of Gratitude

Since I don't plan to participate in No Shave November (eww), or NaNoWriMo (meh), I thought I would participate in 30 Days of Gratitude. November is an awesome month. It's my official start of the holidays, contains my birthday, my husband's birthday, my father in law's birthday, and THANKSGIVING! Yay! I love Thanksgiving. And I love cooking for Thanksgiving. And I could use a little emphasis on the positive right now. So, I'm going to give it my best shot. My plan is to post every day this month and say one thing I'm grateful for. Since I know myself pretty well, some posts may consist of one sentence just before midnight. But I'll give it my best shot.

Day 1: I am grateful for honest and considerate roofers.

Our roof suffered from hail damage from a big storm a couple of years ago and we needed to get it replaced. This May we signed a contract with a roofing company, Timmer Roofing, to get us a new one. We chose them because we had both heard of them, they had a good reputation, and they seemed legit. We signed the contract, gave them a $4000 deposit, and they scheduled us for a new roof at the end of August. At the end of August they rescheduled us to the first week in October. During the midst of our miscarriage mayhem, we got a call from the Sheriff's office. Turns out, Timmer Roofing had gone out of business and stolen our money (along with a bunch of other people's money). Just the kind of news we needed at this time.

We are in the process of filing claims against them and have hopes of recovering some of the money. The insurance company will not give us any more and are unable to send their big scary lawyers after them since we were in the contract, not the insurance company. :(

In the meantime, we still needed to get a roof. (I should mention that this spring some of the shingles blew off our roof and it has a patch. We like to class up the neighborhood that way.) My State Farm agent recommended a roofing company and I just happened to call them today. The guy was SOOO nice. I explained the situation and he said they'd been working with a lot of the Timmer people. He said his roofing supervisor was tied up today but should be by in the next day or two to get some measurements. I was sitting at my desk and about an hour later, he pulled up to our house and got the measurements. I took it as a good sign. This guy was also very nice, professional, and efficient. I'm hoping this translates into roofers who will actually give me a new roof. Maybe before the end of the month I'll be able to say I'm grateful for a new roof!

Note: This roofing company said they don't collect any money until the roof is done, and if the company asks for money up front it's a sign that they can't finance the project themselves. Lesson learned the hard way! (It's good he said that because I wasn't planning on giving them any money until I had a roof any way. In the immortal words of G Dub, "Fool me once,shame on you; fool me - you can't get fooled again." Or something along those lines...)

So, if you see the proprietor of Timmer Roofing, feel free to punch him in the face for me. Also, take whatever money he has on him. He owes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment