Day 13: I am grateful for reference librarians!
They are just little angels sent from database heaven. Our reference librarian can navigate through a database like Luke Skywalker using the force to navigate his way to destroying a Death Star. I had a meeting with her this morning to help me with research for my final paper for one of my classes and it was the best 40 minutes of my day (so far). Firstly, she has a master's in English so she knows what we're doing. And, she has an MLS, so she knows what we don't know how to do (or at least not as well). She's a kick in the pants to hang out with. We spent a good deal of time laughing. Actually, she laughed so hard she cried. My paper is about identity and the dog shaming website. So I introduced her to the dog shaming and cat shaming web phenomena. Needless to say, she found them hilarious.
She also told me that every semester we get $7.50 of printing money loaded onto our Cat Card. It's use it or lose it and I can't believe I didn't know about it until now. It made my day. She also talked to me about Shakespeare. Apparently, the library is doing a "Random Acts of Shakespeare" event during finals week. Once every 5 hours, someone is going to get up and perform 3 minutes or less of Shakespeare. How cool is that? Creativity studies show that taking a short break from intense work will send you back to it refreshed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to participate. Any ideas on what to read would be greatly appreciated. A sonnet? A soliloquy? Something funny? Something serious?
So, yes, reference librarians, specifically mine, get my gratitude today. If I am able to go on to a doctoral program, my first order of business will be marching over to the library and becoming best friends my my reference librarian.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment